To celebrate Canonical’s eagerly-awaited launch day for the latest Ubuntu LTS release, Melbourne is pleased to announce Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is now available and supported for all managed dedicated and cloud servers. The latest LTS release of Ubuntu, endearingly named Xenial Xerus, comes with support and updates from Canonical until 2021.
In the lead up to launch day, Melbourne has fully tested Xenial with to ensure deployments are production-ready. Xenial will also be available for everyone to download on Melbourne’s public mirror servers based in our Manchester data centre.
Canonical’s redesign centres on balancing stability in production whilst introducing performance-enhancing features, starting with major kernel upgrade to 4.4.
Enhancements from the Linux kernel
Xenial is based around the 4.4 LTS Linux kernel release, which boasts some significant features:
- Journaled RAID 5 MD support in the RAID/LVM layer. With a journal device configured, RAID resyncs faster, with scope for improvements in performance and latency
- Faster, scalable TCP networking
- Enhanced support for XFS, CIFS and OCFS2 filesystems
- Improved memory management
Major changes to popular development packages
- PHP 7.0
- MySQL 5.7
- Python 3.5
- Docker 1.10
- Updated GNU toolchain based on glibc 2.23 and GCC 5.3.1
As always, if you’ve got any questions please don’t hesitate to get in touch!