So once again it’s World Backup Day (we know, it feels like only yesterday we celebrated it last). And it’s that time of year when we have to think of something interesting to say about backup in a thinly disguised effort to get you to buy it from us.
Again we struggled, mainly because most of the so-called “facts” out there about backup and data loss appear to be either exaggerated or entirely made up.
We’re not really into scaremongering so instead we thought we’d give you our top 5 dubious backup-related facts we’ve found and let you decide for yourself how seriously you want to take them…
1. 99% of businesses do not back up daily
This figure seems pretty high, we can only assume it includes plumbers, corner shop owners and the like. But the fact remains that they do not back up enough, and that’s wrong.
2. Over half of critical corporate data resides on unprotected PC desktops & laptops.
This could be true but there must be more people than we thought out there who fail to understand the importance of saving documents to the shared drive.
3. In the event of a disaster 40% of data would be lost.
That’s 40% of all data globally. Well at least we think that’s what they’re telling us, they didn’t give any more information.
4. A company that experiences a computer outage lasting more than 10 days will never fully recover financially.
Probably because if they’ve been down for 10 days, they’ve already closed down.
5. 90% of companies that experience data loss go out of business within 2 years
Therefore you can pretty much assume you’re out of a job if anyone, anywhere, loses any data whatsoever.
So there you go, we hope you’re suitably terrified and dialling our number as we speak find out how you can avoid this kind of tragedy.
Seriously though, if you’re not backing up we really think you should.